Tuesday, July 2, 2013

One Article, Two Email Conversations and a Three Hour Training

I read an interesting article a week ago about a mental health provider experiencing burnout which he attributed to a lack of adequate training beyond the theory taught in graduate school. He blamed the organizations he worked for and "the system" because they did not provide adequate training.   I reflected on my own experiences and came to a different conclusion for myself.

I felt equipped to provide counseling due to the in-class experience with applying therapy techniques/theory on our classmates as well as in multiple practicums and internships. Even so, the training is minimal. We learned a little about a variety of theories. I do agree that real life counseling/therapy is different than what I was taught in school.

Not all work experiences are equal and much of what we do on the job is learned on the job.  This is why we are required to spend about 2 years under the supervision of an experienced licensed counselor/therapist often in addition to a work/clinical supervisor.  Additionally we are required to attend a minimum of 20 hours of continuing education each year.

The first email that really spoke to me was from Terry Parker with War Horse Ranch in Oklahoma.  He is starting a new treatment center that provides Experiential Therapy provided to Soldiers/Veterans for PTSD and substance abuse combined with rescuing a horse and dog. His goal is to provide training and treatment in ranch style setting that is relaxing, family oriented & specialized for our Nation's Heroes. The brief conversation we had centered on the treatment program this organization will provide it's participants.    So often I come across well meaning organizations with a vision that appears on the surface to be a great solution to treating mental health and/or substance dependence only to find it is solely based on work, or worship, or medication.  It appears to me this model will be effective as well as unique.  I applaud his vision and look forward to following his journey.

The second email was a request for help.  One of my peers needed a specific type of training.  As I mulled over what I could do to help her, I reflected again on the article I mentioned above.  The article discusses several issues important to our effectiveness as counselors.  Many of my greatest opportunities to learn came from thoughtful discussions with other Counselors about challenges we face day to day.

I look forward to the opportunity to discuss the following questions with fellow Counselors.  What is the reality of working as a therapist? Who is responsible for making sure we are equipped to do our work? What challenges face us in meeting the therapeutic, ethical, legal and moral aspects of our work with clients?  These and more discussions are the focus of the training on July 12, 2013. Join us for an interesting conversation about this topic.  For more information and to register go to www.envisionok.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment